100

"Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake." ! Anonymous

That used to be me... but I am now committing to losing it... no longer can the thin person be sedated... in fact, once she arrives she might be a force to be reckoned with after years in the pantry!

It is offensive to me that many people think overweight people do nothing but eat one goodie and another... I literally have nothing to eat in my refrigerator except eggs. I don't have cupboards full of bon bons... I don't order jumbo pizzas (or any for that matter) and eat them by myself. I don't hoard cookies. I don't eat breakfast, and often don't eat dinner... yet my thin friends eat constantly.

This started out to be my journal to record my journey on Medi Weight Loss Clinic's program - I lost 50 pounds on that program in 4 months... it all came back rapidly when I tried to eat "normal" - as in eating fruits and more carbs...the Dr told me it would but I thought I had it figured out. He told me I probably couldn't go over 1,400 calories a day... surely not! He was right.

Now I'm doing it all over again......without joining Medi Weight Loss - I know what to do without spending over $100 a week.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Alcohol Carb List

Alcohol Carb Chart - Atkins


If you enjoy a cocktail before dinner, or a glass of wine with your steak, you'll be happy to know that most alcohols are zero carb! This list is for straight alcohols, like beer, wine, gin, etc.

The carb counts given here are effective carb counts, with the fiber removed. All amounts here are for a 1oz shot, except as indicated.

Armagnac - 0g
Beer (12oz) - 12.5g
Bourbon - 0g
Brandy - 0g
Cognac - 0g
Gin - 0g
Rum - 0g
Scotch - 0g
Tequila - 0g
Vermouth, Dry - 1.4g
Vermouth, Sweet - 4.5g
Vodka - 0g
Whiskey - 0g
Wine, Red (4oz) - 2.0g
Wine, White (4oz) - 0.9g

Note that there are of course mixed drinks that involve fruit juices, sugars, and other sweet concoctions. If you start mixing in sodas or juices for a cocktail, you're racking up the carbs very quickly. Use a diet soda whenever possible!

If you're looking for blends like Kahlua, Bailey's, etc., check out the Cocktail Liqueur Carb Chart.

Remember that alcohol is still a fuel. Alcohol provides calories to your body, and is one of the four types of substances that your body can metabolize into fat, along with carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.

So alcohol is NOT a magical "no weight gain" drink. If you drink more than 1-2 drinks a day, it will have a serious impact on your health and your ability to lose weight. In essence your body will burn up the alcohol first for its energy needs, and then if you have other food digesting in your system as well, that other food is now "left over energy" and will get stored as fat. So the alcohol impedes your body's normal energy burning system.

No comments:

Post a Comment