100

"Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake." ! Anonymous

That used to be me... but I am now committing to losing it... no longer can the thin person be sedated... in fact, once she arrives she might be a force to be reckoned with after years in the pantry!

It is offensive to me that many people think overweight people do nothing but eat one goodie and another... I literally have nothing to eat in my refrigerator except eggs. I don't have cupboards full of bon bons... I don't order jumbo pizzas (or any for that matter) and eat them by myself. I don't hoard cookies. I don't eat breakfast, and often don't eat dinner... yet my thin friends eat constantly.

This started out to be my journal to record my journey on Medi Weight Loss Clinic's program - I lost 50 pounds on that program in 4 months... it all came back rapidly when I tried to eat "normal" - as in eating fruits and more carbs...the Dr told me it would but I thought I had it figured out. He told me I probably couldn't go over 1,400 calories a day... surely not! He was right.

Now I'm doing it all over again......without joining Medi Weight Loss - I know what to do without spending over $100 a week.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

ALMONDS - Low Carb Super Food


                                                             2.3 net carbs per 24 nuts

Similar to peanuts, you get to subtract the fiber 3.3g  from the 5.6g of [bad] carbs that 24 almonds provide, leaving you with 2.3 net carbs

Packed with a lot of nutrients for a small amount of carbohydrate, an ounce of almonds has about 2.3 grams of usable carbohydrate, plus 3.3 grams of fiber. Some of those nutrients are similar to the ones in whole grains, but without all the starch. Like grains, almonds can be ground into a meal or flour. Since their mild flavor goes with many foods, baked goods and other foods made with almonds aren't usually overpowered by the almond flavor.

Many people do not realize that almonds are not a true tree nut....they are the seeds of fruit that is related to peaches, apricots and plums.The fruit dried on the tree and the almonds are harvested afterward.






"Superfood"- 

  •  The fats in almonds are mostly monounsaturated (the type associated with olive oil). 
  • They are an excellent source of vitamin E and manganese, and a good or very good source of many other vitamins and minerals including magnesium.
  •  In addition, almonds contain large amounts of phytonutrients, especially plant sterols and flavanoids, which are heart-healthy as well as conferring antioxidant benefits. 
  •  To maximize these nutrients, enjoy your almonds with the skins (rather than blanched), as flavanoids are concentrated there.

Health Benefits of Almonds

Quite a few studies have been done with almonds suggesting that they may be able to play a role in weight reduction, cholesterol reduction, and lowering the glycemic response of a high-carbohydrate meal. A few years ago, the FDA came out with a statement saying that eating 1.5 ounces per day of many types of nuts, including almonds, may reduce the risk of heart disease.

  • Almonds are a great snack, all by themselves. Going out for the day or evening? Why not tuck some raw almonds in your purse or carry them for when hunger strikes?
  • Add almonds to salads, yogurt, vegetables -- use your imagination!
  • Use unsweetened almond milk in shakes, sauces etc..
  • Almond flour (same thing as almond meal) can be used in many low-carb recipes. Such as pancakes and muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment